Veggie Quinoa Sushi Rolls
Recipe yields 4-5 sushi rolls.
4-5 nori sheets
1 cup quinoa (Be sure to rinse quinoa if it is not pre-washed.)
2 cups water
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1/2 cucumber medium
1/2 cup baby carrots
1 cup baby romaine
Reduced sodium soy sauce to taste
Add quinoa, water, ground ginger, and salt to inner pot in rice cooker, close lid and cook on white rice setting.
- Alternately, you can cook the quinoa on a stovetop – add the ingredients to a saucepan, cover, and bring to a boil then allow to simmer on medium low for approximately 15 minutes.
- When quinoa is done, remove from heat and stir in vinegar.
- Allow quinoa to cool while you peel and seed the cucumber and avocado and slice into long thin strips.
- Slice baby carrots into thin strips lengthwise.
- Place a nori sheet on a bamboo mat and place about 2/3 cups of quinoa in the center of the nori sheet. Wet the tips of your fingers (you may wish to have a bowl of cool water nearby for this purpose) and press/spread the quinoa into a thin layer – working towards the edges of the sheet, leaving about an inch of sheet remaining on the edge farthest from you.
- Place a row of baby romaine leaves an inch or two in from the edge closest to you. Top with a thin row of cucumber, carrot and avocado slices.
- Use bamboo mat to roll the sushi roll. Set sushi roll aside and repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Once all ingredients are used, slice the sushi rolls into evenly sized pieces and serve with low sodium soy sauce.
(Recipe sourced from Veggie Primer.)